IMG_1957 - Copy.PNG
IMG_9130 - Copy.JPG


Cal's Doc O'Lena

Lucky, a miracle horse who’s name could not fit him any better. His story with us starts when a good Samaritan posted on Facebook about a horse he had saw on the Gramercy levee. This horse was beyond emaciated, was infected with rain rot and his ankle had a large laceration on it. We instantly put our attention towards this. Within a day of no one stepping forward to claim the loose horse we decided to step in. Once we arrived in Gramercy the situation Lucky was in was bluntly horrific. He was lying in a pit of mud and unable to stand due to his weakness and malnourishment. Once getting Lucky loaded into the trailer we brought him home. The days following this would be a rollercoaster of not just emotions but if he was going to live or not. For multiple days he was unable to stand on his own and every time he laid down the tractor was required to pick him back onto his hoofs. Our vet advised for us to euthanize him if he continued not being able to stand independently. Lucky’s weakness continued and our vet came to the ranch with vials drawn. She began explaining the process of euthanasia to us and as she was walking towards the pasture Lucky was located, in it began to rain. Lucky miraculously stood up on his own, shook off the rain water and began to graze. Everyone, including our vet, stood is awe at the miracle that had happened before our very eyes. From that day forward Lucky began progressing steadily towards great health. He quickly gained weight and within 3 months he was able to play in the pasture with the other rescues. Now, Lucky spends his days out in pasture with his best friends and munching on his favorite hay with the only proof of his past left is the small scar from his laceration.

The Franklinton Three

Shadow, Lil Bit and Mama

“The Franklinton Three”, A family who was casted aside and forgotten. However, this was not permanent. In May 2017, a message came to us about a stud, mare and their foal that were emaciated, weak and in a grassless lot. Our associates quickly got a search and seizure preformed and custody of the animals given to us. From there they were brought to the ranch and assessed. We soon noticed that the foal was still feeding off of the mare, making it clear how young the foal really was. After this we decided to move forward at full speed towards getting each member of the family back to top health. This involved multiple veterinarian visits that included ultrasounds, shots, chips and check ups for each horse. Also, multiple farrier appointments were required to get their extremely outgrown hooves back to the ideal shape and length. With these visits, nutrition and your donations we were able to get each horse to their prime health. Now, Mama (the mare) has been adopted to Ponies & Parties in Slidell where she will live out her life being loved and adored by not just her owners but the children who get to meet her. Also, Shadow (the stud) and Lil Bit (the foal) spend their days enjoying long green grass together and are now available for sponsors and adoption to their forever home.


Desert Dancer

Taco, an extraordinary name for an extraordinary horse. Taco was locked in a small, dark and uncleaned stall in a public barn for multiple years. Remaining unfed, Taco would try to reach over his stall to grab hay anyone that walking by had. Eventually, his owner at the time decided to surrender him to us. When Taco got home he had a severe case of rain rot and was loosing most of his body hair because of it. Taco was also malnourished causing the majority of his bones to show through his grungy coat. We immediately began treating his rain rot aggressively and getting his nourishment back to par. Taco quickly recovered to become unrecognizable compared to the horse he was months before. He also quickly bonded with Angie and they began learning how to trust and love together. Then, on October 31st 2016, Taco suddenly took  a turn for the worst. While out of town on a trail riding trip he began colicing. Once we realized that our medicines were not working, he was rushed to LSU’s Equine Hospital. Arriving at 2am, the doctors tried everything they could until they had to ask the inevitable question, if we wanted to do surgery or euthanize him.  Because of the large impaction they found in his intestines, the hefty price of surgery and the once in a lifetime bond between him and Angie the choice was hard. Angie decided on the surgery and the next weeks became a rollercoaster of good and bad days until he was finally released from LSUSVM. Once home he recovered from surgery and began a diet of pasture and Chaffehaye. His health has remained fairly steady since. Now, he spends his days out on pasture living each day to the fullest and occasionally sneaking in a taste of his favorite treat, Gatorade.


100 West Drive Slidell, LA (not on GPS)


(985) 788-6208

©2018 by Wind Dancer Ranch Equine Rescue.